- The Alliance to Prevent Restraint, Aversive Interventions and Seclusion (APRAIS)
Led by TASH, APRAIS is comprised of members from leading disability advocacy organizations.
- TASH Shows 'The Cost of Waiting' to End Restraint & Seclusion
The second edition of The Cost of Waiting comes two years after the U.S. House of Representatives passed legislation to restrict restraint and seclusion in schools.
- A Terrifying Way To Discipline Children
Article from The New York Times
- How Safe Is The Schoolhouse? An Analysis of State Seclusion and Restraint Laws and Policies.
Published by The Autism National Commitee
- National Disability Rights Network: Restraint & Seclusion
It is the hope of the National Disability Rights Network that calling attention to this pervasive problem will spur action on the local, state, and national levels to address this crisis immediately.
- The Business Case for Preventing and Reducing Restraint and Seclusion Use
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services/Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- U.S. Department of Education: Restraint and Seclusion
This page features Publications, Reports, Testimony, Policies, Regulations and Guidelines on Seclusions and Restraints
- Developing School Policies & Procedures for Physical Restraint and Seclusion in Nebraska Schools
The purpose of this document is to provide information and guidance for Nebraska School districts in creating new, or revising existing policies and procedures related to the use of physical restraint and seclusion in school settings. The goal is to create policies that are informed by national policy directions, research, good practice and appropriate professional standards
- Department of Education Issues '15 Principles,' Stops Short on Restraint, Seclusion
May 2012 Press Release
- Using Timeout in an Effective and Ethical Manner
A report from the Iowa Department of Education. This resource is intended as a practical, hands-on guide for educators who are seeking research-based methods to improve student behavior. The primary audience is educators and parents who would like guidance on pre-planning, appropriate interventions, and follow up to the use of time-out in Iowa classrooms.
- Respiratory Assessment in Child and Adolescent Residential Treatment Settings: Reducing Restraint-Associated Risks
- Education Laws and Regulations: Physical Restraints
Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education
- US Sentate Committee Hearing
"Beyond Seclusion and Restraint: Creating Positive Learning Environments for All Students" (July 2012)
- Delaware State Senate (146th General Assembly): Senate Bill 242
An Act to amend Title 14 of the Delaware Code relating to seclusion and restraints in public school. (Introduced June 7, 2012)
- S. 2020: Keeping All Students Safe Act
112th Congress, 2011-2012. A bill to protect all school children against harmful and life-threatening seclusion and restraint practices.
- Prohibiting and eliminating all corporal punishment of children with disabilities.
Briefing prepared by the: Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment of Children (www.endcorporalpunishment.org)
- Ky School Superintendents, Advocates Divided On Student Restraint Issue
Article from the Courier-Journal.com
- NACDD Statement for the Record RE: Keeping All Students Safe Act (S. 2020/ H.R. 1381)
(National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities)
- The Evolution of Disability Rights Litigation (and some stories)
By: David Ferleger, Esq.