Delaware Partners in Policymaking Programs
What is Partners in Policymaking?
Partners in Policymaking is an innovative Leadership Training Program that teaches people to be community leaders. The program is designed for parents raising young or school-aged children with a developmental disability* or young adults with developmental* disabilities. "Partners" provides up-to-date information, education and skill building activities about the legislative process and local, state and national issues that affect individuals with disabilities.
Partners in Policymaking was developed by the Minnesota Governor's Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities. The program has been offered in 40 states, as well as Great Britain, Scotland and the Virgin Islands. Over 5,000 people have been trained Nationwide. The Delaware Developmental Disabilities Council began its program in 1993. Over 200 Delawareans have taken the training program.
Partners participants are people who are ready to work for change in public policy. The overall goal of the program is to foster a PARTNERship between people who need and use services for disabilities and those who make public policy. Partners graduates gain the abilities to teach policymakers a new way of thinking about people with disabilities.
Frequently Asked Questions
Each year a limited number of people are selected through an application process to participate in the program. The project seeks highly motivated men and women who represent different ethnic backgrounds, various disabilities and geographic regions of the state. Preference is given to, but not limited to:
- Adults with disabilities ages 22 and up
- Parents of children with disabilities, including adult children
Gaining information, strategies and skills is the key to the program. You will be expected to:
- Attend all sessions
- Review material before and after each session, as well as complete homework assignments
- Keep and turn in a record of time spent on activities
- Set goals and form plans to create positive change in systems and services that effect people with disabilities
No, there is no fee. The Partners in Policymaking program is funded through the generosity of the Delaware Developmental Disabilities Council, Delaware's Department of Education, Birth to Three program and the Delaware General Assembly.
- Participant's lodging and meals will be furnished at no cost.
- Personal attendant care, facilitator services, childcare and respite care are expenses which may be reimbursed. These are determined on an individual need basis.
- History of the Disability Movements
- Inclusive Education
- Community Supports and Supported Employment
- Vision for the future and the planning process
- Assistive Technology
- Local, State and Federal Policy and Legislative Issues
- How to Meet Public Officials and Give Legislative Testimony
- Community Organizing
- Working with the Media
- Holding Effective Meetings and more!
Training session details for the 2024 Partners in Policymaking Program will be available soon.
Applications can be mailed, faxed or emailed to:
Developmental Disabilities Council
ATTN: Stefanie Lancaster
Margaret M. O'Neill Building, Suite 2
410 Federal Street, 2nd Floor
Dover, Delaware 19901
Additional Resources & Reports
If you have any questions about the Partners in Policymaking or Junior Partners in Policymaking Program,
please contact the Delaware Developmental Disabilities Council at (302) 739-3333.